Lenovo OneKey Recovery: Ultimate Windows 8 Recovery Guide
This article applies to most of recent Lenovo desktops, laptops, and all-in-ones running Windows 8 OEM version. Lenovo OneKey recovery software comes preinstalled at factory state. Don’t worry, if you have accidentally uninstalled it thinking it as one of bloatware, you can still download and install it for free. For those new to Lenovo OneKey recovery, let me quickly say that, it is a system recovery software used to create a complete system backup, and restore it when you need it.
Compatible Lenovo Computers
First thing I would advice is to check whether your Lenovo computer is compatible with this software. Here are the list of supported models taken from Lenovo webpage:
- Lenovo G400, G500, G400s, G500s, G400s Touch, G500s Touch, G700
- Lenovo G405, G505, G405s, G505s
- Lenovo G410, G510, G710
- Lenovo G480 (2688, 20156), G480 (2184, 20149)
- Lenovo G580 (2189, 20150), G580 (2689, 20157)
- Lenovo G780
- IdeaPad Flex 14, Flex 15
- IdeaPad S210, S210 Touch
- IdeaPad S310, S410, S410p, S410p Touch, S510p, S510p Touch
- IdeaPad S400 Touch, S500, S500 Touch
- IdeaPad S215, S415, S415 Touch
- IdeaPad U330p, U330 Touch, U430 Touch, U430p, U530 Touch
- IdeaPad Y410p, Y510p
- IdeaPad Yoga 11s
- Lenovo Yoga 2 11
- IdeaPad Z410, Z510, Z710
Supported Operating Systems
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (64-bit versions)
Get Lenovo OneKey Recovery 8.0
How to create a complete Windows 8 backup
1. Install OneKey Recovery software.
2. Click on “System Backup”.
3. Select the destination where you want to save the system backup. Note that this is a complete system backup including Windows 8, programs, and all your data on the Windows installed drive. Therefore you need a large capacity hard disk. If your Lenovo PC still has the factory partition (usually D: drive), then you will see the default path set to D:\Lenovo\OneKey App\OneKey Recovery\backup.wsi.
Most of you will never have enough space in this default partition, but thankfully, you can choose an external hard disk. You can add a short backup notes like the name of your PC at the end of date and time, this will be a handy info when restoring your PC in future. Click “Next”.
4. Make sure you close all other memory intensive programs on your PC. The process will take a while, hence I recommend plugging in AC adapter now. Confirm backup and then click on “Start”.
5. Wait for the process to finish.
6. You will get confirmation after backup is complete. Close the program, and explore the hard disk where you set the backup to, you should see several backup files in it. You have now successfully created your computer’s Windows 8/8.1 backup image.
How to restore Windows 8 system image
The recovery process takes a while to complete. So I recommend you to connect the AC adapter to your computer now.
A. Booting into System Recovery
METHOD 1: Using OneKey Recovery Program (For those who are able to run Windows)
1. Start OneKey Recovery program and then click on “System Recovery”.
2. Click “Yes” to reboot your computer into the system recovery mode.
METHOD 2: Using Novo button (For those who can’t boot Windows)
If your computer is not able to boot into Windows, you can still get into Recovery mode. To do that, first turn off the computer, and then press the Novo button. From the Novo button menu, select the Lenovo OneKey Recovery system and press Enter.
B. System Recovery
1. In the Recovery mode, you can select from two different options. The first option lets you restore your computer to the factory state from the factory backup partition. The second option lets you restore your computer to the image backup done by you in the first part of this article. Choose the one you desire and click “Next”. In our scenario, I am choosing second option “Restore from user’s backup”.
2. Click on Browse button and then select the backup.wsi file that got saved when you created the backup image. This is the default name, unless you changed it manually.
3. Click next and then start the restoration process. The restoration process will take a while to complete.
Enjoy your new Windows!