With Windows 10 launch just around corner and now that you can reserve your Windows 10 copy for free provided you have Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows Phone 8 on your device, it’s important to know if your computer or device is ready for the most anticipated Windows version.
Windows 10 Minimum System Requirements for Free Upgrade
If your computer is running Windows 7 or Windows 8, then it automatically qualifies for Windows 10. Anyhow, here is the minimum system requirements:
- OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Installed or Windows 8.1 update installed. If you have not yet installed it, then you can grab it: Click here for Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
- CPU: 1 GHz minimum or faster
- RAM: minimum 1 GB for 32-bit Windows 10 or 2 GB for 64-bit Windows 10
- HDD Space: 16 GB for 32-bit Windows 10 or 20 GB for 64-bit Windows 10
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 1024×600 px minimum resolution.
Get Windows 10 App
Best way to check if your PC or tablet currently running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, if it meets the requirements is by using ‘Check my PC’ in the Get Windows 10 app. If you are new to this app on taskbar, head over to our reserve Windows 10 article to find out how to get that Windows 10 app on taskbar.
Right-click on the icon and select Check your upgrade status.
Click on Check your PC.
The tool will let you know from hardware and software point of view if Windows 10 is fully compatible with your computer. For example, in our test Windows 8.1 PC, hardware is fully compatible, but Dolby app need to reinstalled after Windows 10 upgrade.