Time and again, it happens to everybody – forgot Windows login password! The problem becomes a nightmare especially when you have just one login user in your PC and you don’t remember the password. You have no way to login to your computer and left with the Windows login screen all the time. Here is where the Password reset USB or Disk comes to your rescue. It is good idea to create one and keep it in a safe place for emergency recovery when you are logged in.
Don’t worry, if you haven’t created a Password Reset USB before and you are not able to login to your Windows 10, you can still create it on any other Windows machine (bug your friend!) and then use it on your locked computer. That part is covered in the second section of the article.
Did you forgot the password before creating the Password Reset Disk?
Jump over to the section (II) of this article.
I. Create Password Reset USB/Disk on Windows 10 proactively, for use when your forget password
It is a good idea to make a password reset USB/disk when you are logged in, so that the USB/disc can be used when you forget the password. Once you created it, no matter how many times the password has been changed after that, you can reset the password using the bootable media you created any number of times. In order to avoid misuse of the device, keep it in a safe place.
1. Plugin a USB Flash drive to the USB port of the computer or insert blank CD if you want to do it that way.
2. Type Control Panel in the search box on taskbar and launch it.
3. Start typing password in the control panel search box located in the top right corner, then click Create a password reset disk in the User Accounts section.
4. Follow the simple on-screen instructions given by the password reset tool to create the password reset USB/disk.
When you want to use it for resetting password at Windows login screen, click on “Reset password” and proceed with the on-screen instructions to login to your PC.
II. Create Password Reset USB/Disk for use on a Windows 10 locked PC
In case you forgot password and have your Windows 10 PC locked out, the easiest method is to use the “I forgot my password” option and reset the password after providing your verification information to Microsoft, but this option only applies if you used Microsoft account on your PC. If the login account is not a Microsoft account, then you should use a Windows Password Reset USB/Disk to reset the password. There are several programs that let you do this, instead of a manual command prompt way, but most of them are paid programs. The one I recommend is a free for Home use – Lazesoft Windows Password Reset tool. One more thing, since your PC is locked out, you should bug your friend to make this Reset tool for you. The computer must be connected to the internet. You can use a blank CD or USB disk for it.
1. Insert the USB/CD to the computer.
2. Download the free tool from below link:Download
3. Install and run it. Plugin
4. Click on “Burn CD/USB Disk”.
5. Select the OS for the target computer which is nothing but your locked computer. They don’t have Windows 10 at the moment when this article is published, but Windows 8.1 option should work fine for Windows 10, make sure to select 32-Bit/64-Bit correctly, else the program will not work on the locked system. Click “Next”.
6. In the next window, select the media accordingly and click “Start”. Wait for the process to finish.
7. Next step is to take this bootable Password Reset CD/USB to your computer and boot into it.
8. Click “Password Recovery” and choose the account to reset password. Existing password will be removed and there will be no password required to login to that account.
9. You are done!